4/9/08

Suggested Leave

Drew grins a little at Misty, reaching up to run a finger along her arm. “Too bad I gotta stay watch right now, otherwise…” He catches her eye, throwing her a wink. “This might not be such a boring visit after all.”

Travis kicks him under the table. “You in or what?”

Drew smirks and puts his attention back to the card game, amply distracted from his line of questioning. “Yeah, yeah.” He looks back up at Misty, nodding his head to the chair beside him. “Sit back down and bring me some of that luck of yours.”


The bedroom door eventually opens, and Carson steps out, shoes and shirt in hand, and closes the door again. He sets his shoes down and pulls the shirt over his head, running a hand through his hair before grabbing a spare chair to sit down and lace up his boots. “Stopped raining,” he comments, making no eye contact with anyone, seemingly apathetic to anything going on.

Drew raises an eyebrow. “And Ashlyn?”

The corner of Carson’s mouth quirks cockily. “Sleeping.”

Travis rolls his eyes. “I wish I could get some sleep around here, but Mark snores so loud he shakes the whole place.”

“I can’t help it,” Mark retorts.

As Carson sits back up, he receives a shooting pain to his previously injured shoulder. It takes all he has not to favor it, but looking down, he suddenly notices a bit of blood showing from under his leather wristband. He wipes it away quickly, reaching for a pack of smokes on the table and lighting up, following it with a long swig of beer. “Figure I’ll be taking off for headquarters again since this storm seems to be over.”

Mark gives him a grin. “Just come to eat and run, eh?”

Carson silences him by throwing him a look that could kill. “I wouldn’t want to waste too much more time – not with all the information I’ve got on me.” He finally glances in Misty’s direction, then to Drew. “How about giving up that sheila over there so I can take her with me? You and I both know the boss would prefer to get everything all at once, and she’s got just as much knowledge as I do – more probably.” He pauses, rolling his eyes. “And if I bring her along to back me up, I’ll be less likely to face the gallows in the morning.”

Drew scoffs. “You know some of them higher ups talked about if you were alive, they’d kill ya.”

“So?” Carson shrugs. “I’ve got eight lives left. Let ‘em come. You know I’m not scared of them. They want me too bad. I’m one of the best they got.”

Drew polishes off his bottle of beer and gives Katie a sidelong glance. “As much as I’d hate to part, Carson’s right, and I don’t want to get myself into trouble for keeping either of you here, lest they think I’m trying to keep secrets or something. What say you to that, pretty missy?”

No comments: