4/11/08

Argument?

Carson shrugs at Misty, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "It's nice out and I need the exercise." His hand feels a pack of smokes that had been left there since yesterday and he pulls it out, contemplating. Not allowing himself to even think about his reasoning, he tosses it in a nearby trashcan.

Walking, he resumes their previous conversation. "You may like ordering me around, but could you really handle me if I was disobedient?" He gives her a sidelong glance, his cockiness coming through again.


Laura slouches in her seat as Nate walks away. Why did she feel so badly? Where was her confidence? All of a sudden, she was constantly falling to pieces in front of Nate. It was ridiculous. She wanted to go to the fundraiser tonight, and Nate was the ticket to get her there. If she didn't have enough guts to accept a ride, then she was the one being lame.

Taking a deep breath, she stands up and heads for Nate's desk, forcing herself to walk with confidence. Arriving, she knocks on the cubicle wall. "I changed my mind. I'll go." Her eyes search Nate's face. "And I'm...I'm sorry if I've been offish. I guess..." She hesitates, but makes up her mind just to plow right through and deal with the consequences if need be. "I guess I know you were sick and out of it the other day, but when you kissed me it really threw me for a loop, so I started questioning your intentions."

Laura can feel her cheeks redden slightly, but she remains composed. "You're a great guy, Nate, and I appreciate all you've been doing for me lately. I um...I just want to make sure that...well that you really are being nice just because you want to be friends."


"I told you that!"

"Well I'm sorry I care!"

"Just stop it, Kyle!"

Jason, Mike and Phil exchange looks as they head to one of the rooms in the back of the building, hearing the argument. Kyle and Jen never fought.

Phil is the first to step in. "Whoa, you two, settle down." He looks at his siblings. "What is going on?"

Tears are behind Jen's eyes though she keeps them from overflowing, crossing her arms in defiance. "Nothing. We just had a disagreement."

Kyle turns his back, sighing deeply to compose himself. "We're fine."

Jason looks at Phil and Mike...they knew something he didn't, but they weren't talking about it. "Hey, Jen...you gonna stick around to tell me if I got my hair right, or what?"

A smile finally breaks through and Jen nods, grateful for Jason's interruption. "Yeah. You boys get changed and I'll wait outside."

It doesn't take the band long to be changed and ready to go, filing out of the room.

Jen looks her brothers over, nodding with approval and gives Mike a thumbs up. She lets out a low whistle at Jason. "Mm-mm, I might be in that crowd Katie fends off."

"Oh, hush," Jason retorts.

No comments: