3/6/08

Picnic?

Wyatt relaxes a little, finding Katie to not be mad at him. He scoots the chair closer, grimacing at her mention of Jason. He rubs his knuckles on his right hand. “I figured he’d tell you what happened. Other than that, my day was pretty boring.” He sighs and shakes his head, knowing that he can’t just chitchat all evening. “Look, Katie…I’m sorry for things I hadn’t told you. I don’t know if Jason told you why I hit him or not…my temper just got the best of me, and I regret it. But I probably should have told you that a couple years ago I had a girlfriend…Crystal. I dated her for a year before I found out she’d been cheating on me the whole time.” Though the words flow with little effort, but Wyatt’s discomfort of the subject is evident in his eyes. “I guess when…well, when I see Jason around so much it just rubs me the wrong way is all. Teaching my heart to trust again hasn’t been easy… It’s no excuse though… I know that you would never intentionally hurt me, and I don’t think there’s a deceitful bone in your body.” He gives her a little smile. “I’m sorry if it appears I don’t trust you…I guess it’s not you I don’t trust, but my own heart. So…if you can bear with me, I don’t want this to come between us. I…I know you and Jason are close…and I can’t lie and say it doesn’t bother me that he spends so much time with you. But…I know that if you have other intentions, you’d tell me.”
He straightens in his chair, glad that part is over. “Um…and if you want to…I though maybe I could be the first to get you out of here for some fresh air.” His eyes slowly regain their spark. “There’s a community picnic planned in the next town over…food, people, live music…I bet I could convince the doctor to let me take you, if you want.”

No comments: