3/14/08

It Starts

Jason smiles from ear to ear, enjoying Katie's own enjoyment. "Of course I'm gonna give you a ride." He nods to the back of the bike where two helmets are locked in place. "Why do you think I got an extra helmet?"

Slowly he takes Katie's chair again to head back inside, though he wishes they could just stay outside and enjoy the night. It was warm and clear, with just a slight breeze.

Getting back to her room, Jason helps Katie back into bed, and he himself settles on the other bed after popping in a movie. Long before the movie is over though, his eyes have gotten too heavy, and he drifts off to sleep, unable to fight his exhaustion any longer.

Jason's ringing phone wakes him with a start. He's surprised to see the sun coming through the window, and he realizes that he's slept a lot longer than planned. Groaning, he rolls off the bed to stumble to his bag and grabs his phone. "Yeah?" He yawns and rubs the sleep from his eyes. "Reese? Huh?" He glances at his watch. "Oh, yeah, I'm back in town..." He forces a short laugh. "Alright, throw that resignation away and I'll come in. Yeah. No...it's all okay, though there is something I need to talk over with you." Jason moves the curtains with a finger to look out onto the morning, but lets them drop, his eyebrows lifting slightly. "Ah, yes...I figured Wyatt would tell you about that...that's actually what we need to discuss." He cringes. "I know, I know, just... wait, okay? Let me explain when I come in before you get all bent out of shape." He sighs as the subject changes. "You want me to come in for those case files because Con called in sick?" Jason gives a funny look. "I don't think I've known him to have a sick day in his life, but okay...I can do that. Yeah, just give me time to clean up and change my clothes. I'm gonna need the afternoon off though.... No, I'm coming back here to be with Katie and I'll probably have a meeting with some other friends. ...Yeah, okay. Later."

Jason flips his phone shut and gives a little moan, mumbling to himself. "Welcome back, Jason." He goes through his bag pulling out a clean shirt and pair of jeans, still mumbling. "Gotta get to work, talk to Reese, call Con, get a hold of JetStream... there just aren't enough hours in a day."

No comments: