6/1/08

Loosened Tongue

Carson doesn’t even move as Misty enters his apartment and sits down next to him. The alcohol had done a good job of making him numb to the world. But even so, it couldn’t take away the pain.

Misty’s arm around him seems to go ignored as he doesn’t respond. But finally when she speaks, he keeps his eyes forward, not looking at her. “Dang you, Misty….why didjyou haff to come back?”

His tongue and emotions loosened by the liquor, unwanted tears rise to the surface that he would never allow had he been sober. His voice cracks as he speaks. “I shot ‘er, Misty…shot her dead. Right there. Din’t matter….all that bad stuff in the past…she looked at me…. Those eyes…” A tear runs down his cheek. “I couldn’t stop it….she died…right there… ‘cause of me.”

Carson shakes his head, his words still slurring together. “Then you got shot…. ’nother score for me – I’d put you there, did you know that? It’as my choice. You wanna know why? ‘Cause I’s trying to keep you safe. Didn’t work….you got hurt. So whatsthe point an’more? I can’t even leave when I want to.”

He throws a hand up in the air. “Lookat this mess I’m in…can’t do nothin’ right…just messin’ evrybody’s else’s up lives.”

No comments: