5/9/08

Apologies

Scott grimaces at Katie’s comment. “Sorry. You’re right. Come on. Mom and Pop’s sounds good. I could go for one of Herb’s meatball subs.”

Once in the car, Domino crawls up from the back seat to sit on Katie’s lap and look out the front window.

Scott chuckles. “Did you find a new friend, Domino, hmm?” He shakes his head as he starts the engine. “She may be small even for her breed – people always think she’s still a pup. But she’s the smartest dog I’ve ever had.”

Pulling away from the house, he aims for downtown.


Rick is standing near his microscope, and hearing someone enter the infirmary, he lifts his head. A smile spreads across his face. “Well, look who the cat dragged in.” Going to her, he offers her a hug. “Am I glad to see you. Watching Carson around here without anyone to make scenes with by kissing in the corners, it was just way too boring around here.” He gives her a stern look. “But don’t you tell him I said that.”

Turning, he points to the side. “Never did get around to doing anything with your desk…it’s still waiting for you.”


Laura sits on the edge of Con’s seat and watches as her brother and Nate exit. She smiles at Jamie, trying not to worry about the conversation going on outside, and finally looks to Jamie with apology. “Hey Jamie…” Her voice grows quiet. “I’m sorry about last night. I know I ruined your date with Con…and you guys don’t get to spend enough time together, so I feel badly.”


Once outside, Con walks away from the restaurant windows a little ways down the sidewalk. He finally stops though, and turns to Nate. “Look, Nate…I wanted to apologize to you.”

He gives a little sigh. “Not for protecting my sister…for that I’m not sorry. But after talking with her last night and this morning, I realized that you weren’t the bad guy I was making you out to be. Laura said she told you a little about the past, so I’m sure you understand why I’m so protective of her, but…” He shrugs. “Learning that my sister cares for you helped me realize that it wasn’t really you she had a problem with…it was just the past. You did scare her last night…but I don’t think it was your fault. So…I’m sorry I threatened you.”


Wyatt chuckles at Aerith being lost again. “Head on out by way of Main Street, hang a right at the stoplight and I bet you’ll realize where you are.”

At her noting Wyatt taking her home, he quirks an amused eyebrow. “Well, maybe we’ll just have to do that again sometime.” Once the words are out of his mouth, he almost cringes. Why had he said that? Moving on quickly, he nods. “Yeah, I’m on break. Gotta get back to work in about ten minutes. I usually hang out here once or twice a week…I could eat here everyday, but…” he looks down at himself. “I don’t think it would do me much good in the weight department.”


Scott holds the door open for Katie and enters Mom and Pop’s behind her, having left Domino in the car. Scanning the room, he almost laughs. “Don’t look now, but if any more of us come, we’re gonna have all of TJY here.” He’d seen Con and Nate outside, and now spotted Laura, Jamie and Wyatt.

He looks around for an empty table. “You pick, Katie. Find a good spot.”

No comments: