4/4/08

What if

Con meets Jamie’s eyes, knowing he shouldn’t be surprised at her question. He knew he couldn’t hide from her, no matter how hard he tried.

Mabel’s presence with their drinks invades his thoughts for just a moment, and he looks up, forcing a weary smile. “Thanks, Mabel.”

Cradling his glass in his hands as Mabel leaves, he looks down at the carbonated drink. “I don’t know, Jamie,” he finally replies, sighing deeply. “I just…I’m burned out. TJY was my life and when I thought I’d have to resign because of my hearing, I ‘bout went crazy. But now…I can’t even stand going back. I’m just so…frustrated with everything…with myself.”

He moves his glass to make a pattern out of the wet rings on the table. “What happened to me when you were gone…I don’t even know what I did… and then again when I went after Carson and Jason got in my way…” Con swallows hard, not looking up. “I’m…I’m afraid of losing control again. What if I’d been mad at Jason? What would I have done to him? What would I have done to Carson if he hadn’t stopped me? I was out for blood…it was like nothing was real anymore. I…”

Con stops as he relives the past…there were things Jamie didn’t know…who he’d been…what he’d done before he’d come to TJY. “I felt like I was becoming someone who I hated again…someone I thought I’d left behind.” He finally raises his eyes to see Jamie again, the concern and shame evident on his own face. “I got thrown off the police force years ago because I almost killed a guy with my bare hands…because I had a grudge…because I was mad at him.” He shakes his head. “What if I got mad at Jason, or Laura…or you?”

That thought is enough to send his gaze back to the table. “I just don’t know what to do. I don’t like hurting people…I don’t want to hurt people…but what if that’s who I am…what if I can’t get back that control?”

He shakes his head, disgusted with myself. “And here I am, unable to even function when I’m supposed to be taking care of you.”


Mick sighs as Wes mentions Dylan. “I just don’t know what to do. All he’s wanted is to leave…Jade is going home anyway…she and I are alright… it’s just time for her to get back to her normal life. It just seems like the longer I keep Dylan here, the more he hates me.” He shrugs it off, letting the subject slide to other things.

His face changes as his brother talks, a smile forming on his lips. “Yeah…I’ll be your best man. As long as you promise to be mine if I ever get down that aisle.”

No comments: