4/4/08

Watching

The corners of Carson's mouth turn up at Nate's remark to Misty. He watches him as he leaves, calling after him. "Hey, don't take too long, I'm scared to be alone with this one."

Carson goes for the vending machine, and settles down at the table with a sandwich and can of pop. He drags a second chair around with his foot to prop up both his feet, and leans back, drained from that day's events. Even his face of stone can't hide his wariness... There was no return from here on out...he was now an enemy of the Agency.

Looking up, he watches Misty, quietly, thoughtfully, no smile, only his eyes shifting to show life.


Reese looks to Jamie with sympathy. "Jamie, whether it takes three days, three weeks or three month, I don't want you back here until you're ready. Take the time you need. We'll be short on hands around here, but your desk will be waiting for you when you get back." He nods with encouragement. "You might suggest the same thing to Con...I think he could use time off too."


Jason tenses just a little as Con approaches him in the parking lot, wondering at his intentions.

Con can see Jason's leery eye and holds up his hands, signaling that he's not on the war path. "Got time to talk?"

Jason shrugs. "Do I look busy?"

"No." Con sighs deeply and shakes his lead. "Look, Jase, I'm sorry about the other day. I lost my head and there's no excuse for me going after you like I did."

Jason thinks for a moment then shrugs again. "I got in your way. That much was my fault. But for what it's worth, don't worry about. Water under the bridge."

Con gives a short dry laugh and offers his hand. "Truce?"

"Truce." Jason accepts the strong handshake. "How ya doing anyway?"

"Not so good." Con shakes his head. "There's just a lot about me that I don't like right now."

"You gonna take some time off?"

"Yeah."

Jason searches his friend's eyes. "You're coming back though, right?"

Con grins slightly. "Doesn't everybody come back?"

"Usually." Jason laughs. "I should know."

No comments: