7/5/08

Please

Bret’s pulse quickens as Charlotte brings her hand to his face, and he closes his eyes, feeling her lips on his. Returning the kiss with passion, his mind reels with emotions he thought never would surface again. Her embrace draws him closer, feeling her warmth. His hands wrap around her, rubbing her back as he drinks in the lingering exchange.

Withdrawing for just a moment, he tilts his head the other way just to return, with no current intention of ending.


Phil jumps as the phone next to him by the couch rings. He’d fallen asleep reading his magazine and it took him a moment to come back to reality. Glancing at the caller ID, he yells over the sound of the stereo down the hall. “Kyle! It’s Katie! It’s probably for you!”

Kyle comes bounding down the hall springing over the couch and almost landing in Phil’s lap.

Phil gives a wail, pulling his legs up on the couch. “Would you watch it?!”

Breathless and ignoring his brother, Kyle grabs the phone. “Kyle’s bar and grill, what cn I get ya?”


Hearing Misty’s voice, Carson snaps to attention and rises too quickly, causing him to grab his hurt sides. “Misty!”

His eyes search hers, trying to figure out her motive for coming. It wasn’t just to see him – she was distancing herself. It wasn’t to help either – her eyes were too angry. He blinks away a drop of blood from a stubborn cut above his eye.

“I do need your help.” His voice is strained and desperate. There was fear there – something not usually present. “Look I know you’re mad at me and I deserve to be horsewhipped, but if I don’t get my cell phone, an innocent person is going to die.”

He looks at her with desperation. “Please…you’ve got to believe me. No one will go to my apartment and get it. But if I don’t return a call, someone’s death will be on my hands, and I can’t live with that.”

His eyes plead with her. “Please, Misty…if not for me, then for the other life.”

No comments: