6/17/08

Truth

Jason can suddenly feel a new kind of tension between him and Katie, and he hates it. Though she hides it, he knows good and well that his time with his “friend” the evening before had bothered Katie on some level. Why couldn’t things just be normal? It bothered him that the past was still bogging him down, and it bothered him that Katie was bothered too. This was ridiculous.

Her words of apology cause Jason to roll his eyes. “Katie, stop it,” he directs. “I’m just being a grouch. Quit walking on eggshells or you’re just going to make things worse.”

He gestures to one of his chairs for her to sit. “I didn’t want to do any work now anyway after getting a tongue-lashing from two people already this morning. It was my own fault though. I think I ought to go home and come back to start all over again.”

Jason sighs, his weariness showing through his sarcasm. Searching Katie’s face for a moment, he shakes his head. He knows she overheard him and Reese, and though knowing there is no need to explain, for some reason he wants to. Even if Katie was simply a friend now, he doesn’t want any of his friends having the wrong impression. A simple statement would suffice. “Guess maybe I didn’t sleep too good last night…Mike’s got a nice couch, but it isn’t the same. Next time we have a late night jam session, I’m taking coffee with me so I’m awake enough to drive myself home.”

He shrugs, reverting back to Katie’s apparent intention for being here. “Enough about why I’m a grouch…fire away…what’s on your mind?” His eyes catch hers. “And be honest.”


Con reaches an arm around Jamie as he receives her kiss, smiling as she draws away. “I think I’ve done just fine without Bret’s helpful information.” He ambles to the other side of the car, sliding in, unable to keep a yawn from escaping. “Mm, I don’t know where to go…though I could go for just about any place with a buffet right about now…I’m starving.”


Carson slaps on his baseball cap and gestures to the exit. “After you. I don’t care if it takes all afternoon. I’m feeling cooped up anyway.” He tosses her a wink. “Besides, any excuse to get away with you is a good one.”

No comments: