6/22/08

Thank you

Carson pauses by the door, hearing Misty’s words. Though they should have made him feel better, they didn’t. He knew why she was saying them. She was saying them because she felt guilty, and she felt guilty because he’d made her feel that way. He hadn’t manipulated someone like that in a long time, and never had it made him feel this lousy.

He turns and eyes Misty again, the dullness returning to his gaze. Reaching out, he brushes her cheek with the back of his hand. The corner of his mouth upturns, giving his face a look of irony as his cuts and bruises are a contrast to the slight grin.

“I’m a jerk, Misty…I always was, and I guess I still am. And you…” His hand stops, his thumb running along the side of her mouth and around to her chin. “…You just can’t help but turn me on, can you?”

Leaning in, he plants a soft kiss on her lips. “Of course I still want to have dinner with you. But only if you can keep me out of trouble for one day.” His eyes spark. “And if that means sitting on my lap to keep me from going anywhere, I give you permission.”


The meal at Mom and Pop’s comes to an end all too soon, and before they know it, Bret is pulling up to the curb at the street corner to let Charlotte off.

“I think I owe you a thanks for rescuing me from one boring day.” Bret looks over at her. “And if I wake up in the morning to discover it was all a dream, I hope I’ll have it all over again the next night.”


Reese smiles. He can feel the warmth rising up the back of his neck, but for once, he doesn’t care. He was enjoying himself…with a woman…for the first time in a long time. He wasn’t going to let his embarrassment ruin anything tonight.

He lets the subject fade, recognizing the good stopping point, and not wanting to put Lockheart on the spot anymore. Instead, he chooses a light topic until the meal is over…

“I had a nice time tonight, Angelica.” Reese looks at her from his side of the car as he pulls into the parking lot. “Thanks for staying even though the Brown’s couldn’t join us. I, um…guess I’ll see you bright and early then. By sunup we should be in the air.”

No comments: