6/22/08

Adventure

Carson stops and looks down at Misty, showing no surprise at her reaction, though his eyes are full of shame for manipulating the situation in order to get her to have him stay.

He moves back to the table and gingerly sits again, a strange hurt showing in his eyes. Was he more hurt by the lack of trust, or by something outside of what he would discuss?

He remains quiet as Misty starts to work, cringing at the pain it brings, but uttering no complaints. Whether it made him feel out of control or not, he was at her mercy right now.

When Misty is finished and he’s cleaned and bandaged, he slowly slips his shirt back on, standing up. Sighing a little, he looks to Misty, gazing her square in the eye. “Misty…I guess I don’t deserve your trust after what’s happened in the past. But I at least hoped you’d believe me now. Maybe I haven’t handled this thing the best way…” He searches her eyes, his own reflecting a strange look. “…but I would have at least expected I wouldn’t need proof that I’d been jumped at the supermarket. You want it, I’ll get it, but if you make me, I see no reason to expect your trust in the future.”

An odd sadness passes in his eye…but it’s hard to determine whether it was directed toward not being trusted, or towards his own actions. He turns to leave again. “I’ll drive myself back to my apartment. Thanks for your help.”


Bret can’t help his smile as he eats, unable to help but enjoy the flirtatious conversation. He hadn’t had a date like this in a long time, and Charlotte’s company felt like a breath of fresh air. “Well then…I guess tomorrow morning I’ll be picking you up on the street corner so WE can start the day right. No plans no maps…”

He eyes Charlotte’s face, his pleasure showing through his soft grin. “Adventures are better if they’re spontaneous.”


Reese finishes the rest of his food and is quiet for several moments. Lifting his eyes, he can sense that Lockheart has just laid her heart on the table. He felt badly for her, but honored at the same time, that she would choose to share these things with him. “Well…” His tone becomes gentle. “Maybe this is a chance for both of us to learn how to live again.”

No comments: