6/22/08

Alone?

Carson looks at Misty for several moments, his eyes growing dim. “You know what…I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have come.”

He shakes his head and slides off the table, picking up his shirt. His jaw is starting to swell and he speaks with difficulty. “Next time I get jumped behind the supermarket by Terry’s goon and wake up several hours later, I’ll call the law instead.” He stops with sarcasm. “Oh, wait, I forgot. I am the law. Guess even we have trouble sometimes too.”

Wincing as he starts to walk, he puts a hand to his ribs. “I thought with you my reputation wouldn’t precede me, especially after our conversation earlier today. But I guess I was wrong.” Carson gives a little shrug. “I suppose I can’t blame you…I wouldn’t want to get dragged into this by helping me either. So go ahead and go back to bed and pretend I was never here. I’ll go see Rick instead.” He aims for the door, intent on leaving.


Reese cocks his head slightly as he listens to Lockheart. The words she was saying weren’t new…he’d heard them before. If not from Wyatt, from someone else. But when Lockheart said them…they just seemed…more…within reach. As if finding love again really was a true possibility. Was it just her smoothness as a lawyer, or did she really mean what she was saying?

At her apology, Reese chuckles and shakes his head. “Don’t apologize. Sometimes guys like me need to be reminded of those things every once in a while.”

He takes a sip of his water. “But what about you? You speak as someone who’s been there, Angelica. What’s behind those eyes that you haven’t let anyone see?”


“Mm…the best kind of fun is always done behind someone’s back, isn’t it?” Bret grins at Charlotte’s apparent love for getting out and doing things without her sister knowing about it.

He chuckles at her question. “Ooh, that’s a tough one. What I do other than that list on my own is entirely different that what I would do if I were not on my own.” His eyes meet Charlotte’s, a daring challenge in them. “If I weren’t by myself, I might head across the county line and aim for the lakeside beach. Or I might actually go to a movie. Sharing ice cream with someone is always fun. And then there’s the several clubs around town where loud music and dancing is a must, but once again, kinda boring to dance with yourself.”

Bret leans back a little as their food is brought and they dig in. “So what are you predictions, Miss Charlotte? Do you think I’m going to go at it alone this weekend? Or do you see another date in my near future?”

No comments: