4/18/08

Assumptions

Carson gives a casual shrug. “I was on duty all night, we’ll just leave it at that.”

He develops a sly grin at Misty’s comment, his one eye narrowing slightly. “You must not be feeling too poorly.” He searches her eyes for several moments, letting her suggestion hang in the air.

Finally he moves to place a hand on each side of her so he’s looking down on her face. “Sick people shouldn’t be thinking about such things, ya know…” He pauses, stretching out the moment to intentionally create suspense.

Drawing back, he sits up straight, shifting his focus to the door. “And if Rick caught us, he’d have my hide.”

He pauses again. “But then…” His gaze swings back to Misty, the mischief sparking in his eyes. “I think it might be worth the fallout.”

Carson resumes his position leaning over her, a grin playing at his mouth as he looks down into her eyes. “I take that back. I know it would be worth the fallout.”

Bending lower, Carson’s lips envelop Misty’s in a strong kiss, a rough hand finding the side of her face where his thumb runs along her cheek and jawline.


Con looks up as Jamie brings him a cup of coffee, and offers a sleepy grin. “Thanks.”

Taking a sip, he cocks his head to look at her. He’d grown so used to Jamie’s touch. He swings his own arm around her and leans back into the couch, bringing her with him so she’s tucked up beside him. “I know you’ll be back…if I didn’t, do you think I’d be letting you go?”

He thinks for several moments, taking another sip of coffee. “What time are you leaving?”


Judge Barker rises from his seat, and returns the handshake firmly. “Pleasure, Miss Lockheart. Please, sit down.” He gestures to an extra chair, and sits back down himself.

His eyebrows raise slightly. “I’m sorry you were not informed of Mr. Stevenson’s move. I was told you had been notified.” He sifts through some papers on his desk. “The reason I approved his move was because the county jail is not fully equipped to handle prisoners of this caliber. A new policy has been approved and put into action, giving the Nevada count jails relief by sending their heavier case arrestees to the prison for holding at least until they appear in court.”

The judge leans back in his chair, finding Lockheart’s eyes, unafraid of them. “As you know, due to the overload of cases in the system right now, court appearances have been stacked up and delayed. However, as such, I have also approved several other proposals that will allow for quicker and smoother hearings. I myself was informed by the state department that I would be holding Mr. Stevenson’s preliminary hearing a week from tomorrow, when a trial date will be established. I’m assuming you had been notified of this.”

No comments: