4/18/08

Document

Misty’s rebellious words cause Carson to grin. “You like bucking the rules, don’t you, ya spitfire?”

Drawn back into a kiss, he leaves Misty in control, allowing her to drive the exchange. Taken into a hug though, evokes a strange feeling. It wasn’t an embrace of passion, but rather one of care…comfort…trust. It was different…

Finally pulling back, Carson sits up and just looks at Misty for several moments, using the silence to concentrate on what was showing through her eyes. She trusted him. Though hardly having known him for long at all, she also cared for him. It still confused Carson to a certain degree. It was nice…he couldn’t deny that fact. But it brought on things within himself that he didn’t want to deal with…questions without answers…locked emotions…

His mind diverts to the deal he’d made the day before. He knew that it went against everything Misty thought he was…what he was changing into. Could he really go through with it, when someone like her had put so much trust into him?

Forcing a wry grin, he gives her shoulder a squeeze. “Now that I don’t have to watch you like a hawk, I’m gonna get myself ready for the day. I’m sure Rick will be here soon to take care of ya.”


Con chuckles and sets his own coffee cup down. Shifting Jamie around, he pulls her up so she’s sitting sideways on his lap and he can wrap his arms around her planting a kiss on her forehead. “It’ll only be for a week or two. I have confidence that you can survive without the likes of me for that long.”

He tucks a strand of her hair behind her ear. “But this morning I’m all yours.”


Judge Barker doesn’t appear to react much to Lockheart’s bold statement, though tension rises in his eyes. Seeing her leave, he finally lets out a sigh, rubbing a weary hand over his face. He reaches for the phone, jumping slightly as it rings. “Yes? …Not great…no trouble…I don’t think…” He pauses, listening. “You did what?! But we can’t… you said I wouldn’t get into trouble! Well if you do this then….look, I’ve already stuck my neck out far enough. If I push this back any more, it’s gonna look like….” He stops, gritting his teeth. “Fine. Send it to me and I’ll sign it. But this goes no further, do you understand? From here on out, its legit.”


A knock comes to Lockheart’s hotel door, and a maid is standing, smiling. “Sorry to bother you, Miss, but this just came for you and they said it was urgent.” She hands Lockheart a sealed letter, then turns to leave.

The envelope contains a folded paper, a copy of a faxed document, signed by Judge Barker. The date of the preliminary hearing, stated only hours before, had suddenly and been changed to the day after tomorrow…an action unheard of.

No comments: