4/18/08

That's it

Amusement shows on Carson’s face at the mention of Misty’s other ‘endeavors,’ and he winks at her.

Rick rolls his eyes. “How about we keep those endeavors to a minimum, at least during working hours, shall we?” He gestures to Misty. “Keep going.”

Listening intently, he starts shaking his head with the new information. He snaps his fingers as she lists off the ingredients in the strange poison mixture. “Venom – that’s it! I knew there was the lead and nerve agents, but I couldn’t decipher the venom. I didn’t even think about that. I kept trying for plants or chemicals.”

Carson seems to draw a connection in his mind. “Ah. The science lab. Yeah, I remember wondering one time why I’d seen snakes in there. I figured they were studying them for some reason, not using them.”

Rick nods, now pondering what kind of antidote Misty had obviously discovered. He’s so intent that he doesn’t even think about the fact that he hadn’t realized Misty’s range of knowledge. “So what was it that you had Carson inject in you yesterday? I’m guessing you came up with your own formula to combat those individual agents.”



Jason’s eyes flicker as Lockheart accuses him of lying. “Maybe I changed my mind,” he shoots back. “Things would be a whole lot easier on Katie if she couldn’t feel me at all.”

Lowering his eyes again, he listens to what his lawyer has to say, afraid to trust…afraid to hope…but grasping for her reassurance.

His eyes still aimed downward, he sees the paper and photo as they’re pushed towards him on the table. After a moment, he finally reaches out to take the picture in his hands, just studying it…remembering…longing for the simplicity of that moment.

He scans the words that Katie had written…the words that reflected her very heart. Swallowing hard, emotions builds behind his eyes. Resting his elbows on the table, he folds his hands to support his forehead as he closes his eyes. “Oh, Katie.”

Finally he looks back up at Lockheart, switching gears again. “Alright. Bring me your story tomorrow.” He folds up the paper and puts it and the photo in his shirt pocket. “If I make it through the night, we’ll talk more.”

No comments: