3/4/08

Mess

Jay tosses several bills to the side and digs under a pile of tax paperwork, trying to find the ringing cordless phone. "Jess! Where's the phone?" he yells.

"You had it last!" Jessica calls from the upstairs bedroom.

Jay's elbow bumps his glass of iced tea. The drink goes everywhere, splattering onto papers, records and the tiled kitchen floor. "Aw man!" The phone rings again, and he rolls his eyes in frustration. This was not his day. Grabbing a towel, he finally spots the phone under a magazine on the counter. As he's kneeling on the floor trying to sop up his mess, he answers a little more tersely than intended. "Yeah, hello?"


Jason sees the hurt he just caused by a few simple words, and he lets out a groan at himself. He wasn't going to let subjects change that quickly. He'd been wrong and he knew it. "Katie, I'm sorry." He shakes his head, his face showing disapproval at his own action. "That was stupid. I just didn't....I'm not trying to hide anything, I just....it's.....complicated and...and..." He starts to pace in a small circle, his nervousness very unlike him, especially around Katie. "....it's really no big deal, even if someone thinks it is, and I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill because everything could just go wrong, and I don't want anyone else involved, and I don't want anyone to know because then I'll have that to deal with, and who knows what would happen after that if it fell apart, and I don't want to deal with that, and it's all just stupid because I really shouldn't care at all, and it really shouldn't be bothering me, something like this is just..." He suddenly clamps his mouth shut, realizing how ridiculous he must sound. Turning, he rolls his eyes before looking at Katie again. He takes a deep breath, aiming for one route that he vows to stay on. "But it's over. It stopped with this morning, So...you have nothing to worry about and I have nothing more to say. It's forgotten."
He takes the opportunity to lead back into Katie's own subject change, smirking at her. "And they call this a place where they take care of people....don't even feed anyone." He quirks a smile. "I'll go give someone a hard time about it. Sit tight."

No comments: