2/26/08

Different

Jason doesn't try leaving the sink until he's sure his stomach is empty, and attempts to clean up after himself, taking Jamie's advice and drinking some water.
Though he doesn't respond immediately, he tries to let Jamie's words sink in, despite his resistance to feeling any more emotional pain. Feeling just a little shaky, he sits back down at the table, thinking for several minutes. "I know Reese's reasoning for wanting someone to watch my back...I guess I've always been the one to do it...it's just different I suppose." He again thinks of Katie, trying not to dwell on it long, lest he put himself through even more than he wants at the moment. "As for my mom...I want her to be happy...and I know she's been lonely..." He shrugs, his eyes glued to the table. His walls are lowered if only for a brief instance, allowing him to speak what he really feels. "I guess ever since I felt old enough, I've tried to take care of her... I was always the man of the house, and since high school I helped out with the house, big decisions or whatever...I just felt...needed." He leans back in his chair, putting his hands on his head as the headache persists. "And now...everything's changing and I have no control over any of it." He forces a slight laugh. "I remember a few years ago...things were hectic here at TJY, but I was happy... Laura, Con and I were the inseparable trio at work and away from work...thing were good at home...Austin and I were getting along... and then things started falling apart. It just got worse when I was sent on the Agency case to Texas... now I'm back around Laura, but Con was the glue... so even our trio isn't the same anymore. Everything is different...everything."


Wyatt smiles down at Katie, enjoying seeing her here with him more than she'd ever know. Enjoyment shown in her own eyes, giving him an even greater hope.
Once the service ends, some people leave, but many stay, busily getting the food ready in the fellowship area down the hall. The smell of home-cooked food wafts through the air, making everyone hungry.
More people welcome Katie like she's a part of the family, several inviting her back the next week.
The time is all too quickly over, and Wyatt is once again walking with Katie, this time back to his jeep. "Thanks for coming with me this morning, Katie. I hope you had a good time."

No comments: