9/9/09

Worry

Rick's eyes widen a little, hearing Katie's voice. "Well hi there. I've always got time for you." He listens as he moves about the infirmary. Stopping, his voice is concerned. "Of course you can talk to me about that... is everything okay? Are you okay? It hasn't made you sick, has it?"


Watching his niece ride away, Jeff sighs. Once alone, he looks up at the morning sky. "Ya know, this would be a whole lot easier if she could get past that wall of hers and accept this thing. This is only making things harder."

Slowly, he dismounts his horse, leaning against him a moment before gaining his balance. Walking closer to the edge of the ridge, he eases down on the ground with a little groan. He was so tired... so very tired. This ride had been too much, but he'd thought it had been a good idea. Now he guessed he'd been wrong.

"I tried," he mumbles aloud. "But she just won't let go. She's got a family, friends, a future, and she's hanging on to me as though I'm her life. Doesn't she see past that?" He squints up at the clouds. "Doesn't she understand there's more to life than death? How can I show her? How can I help her through this? I just want to see her happy before I'm gone... can't You at least give me that before taking me away?"

No comments: