9/9/09

So yeah

Jeff looks to Katie, disappointment flashing in his eyes. She hadn't heard or paid attention to a word he'd said. He'd thought all night about what he would say to her... about any words that he could leave with her that she could remember when he was gone. And they hadn't done a bit of good. He knew it wasn't her fault... he knew it was the hurt that was blinding her... but if he couldn't get through to her, then there was nothing more he could do, and he has lost.

Hearing her call him as she headed back towards the trail, he shakes his head. "You go on, Katie. I think I'll... stay here a little while by myself."

He turns his gaze back out over the landscape to see that the fog was starting to lift. "If anyone asks, I'll be back in just a bit."


Jason turns his cell phone in his hand, debating whether or not to call. This had been one long morning already, and it had barely started. First Phil had called, then Rick had talked to him... It was too much going on at once. And now Reese was waiting for the report he was supposed to have done the night before.

Finally flipping his phone open, he dials and waits. His shoulders drop when he reaches Katie's voicemail. "Hey, Hero, it's me... Um... I just talked to Rick and he told me about Jeff. Guess I just wanted to say hang in there or something... I know you were close to him."

Jason rolls his eyes. He couldn't talk straight while leaving a message if he were paid to. "Oh, and I wanted to tell you before you heard from anyone else that Kyle is okay. There was an accident up in Minnesota with Break Out and some of the team was hurt, but Kyle's alright. Phil called me earlier. So... yeah. Um..."

He pauses, not even knowing how to end his one-sided conversation. "Nothing new here, just... thought I should call. So... yeah. Bye."

No comments: