8/13/09

Proof

Carson blinks. All he wanted to do at the moment was help Misty clean up and make sure she was okay. But apparently she had other intentions. Her question caught him off guard and made his mouth go dry. He stares into her eyes for several long, awkward moments. "I've been trying for who knows how long to tell you that," he replies, almost in annoyance. "What does a guy have to do so a woman believes him?"

He shakes his head. "Then I lied, I cheated, I'm a mean sun-of-a-gun and you wanted to be left alone. Now you come here and ask me if I love you?"

He throws his arms up in the air. He didn't understand the way she thought, or her mood or any of it. He felt badly, seeing her in this state, but what had she been thinking, walking out in that storm anyway?

"You really want to know?" He turns around, stalking to the drawer in the end table by the couch. Pulling out a little square box, he waves it up in the air, the irritation still high. "I've been hanging onto this for the past two months, without the guts to give it to you, because all I do is screw things up. All I do is wind up in trouble. All I do is make the wrong decisions."

Still talking, he aims back towards her, ignoring the shocked look on Dani's face as she still sat on the couch, unable to help but listen. Carson's voice rises in volume, his accent becoming more pronounced.

"I turned my life around, I came to terms with God and I've been praying for the day you will too. I've been trying my hardest to be the best man I can, but it's never good enough! All I do is wind up failing in some way or the other. I'm stupid, hard-headed and ignorant! And... and... and..."

He stumbles over his own words, having no idea where he had been headed with that train of thought. His face reddens, but he's too hyped up to stop. "Yes, of course I love you! You want proof? Here! I'm tired of this stupid fight!"

Opening the box, he tosses it in her direction.

Only one small item makes up the contents.

The band is white gold.


The set of three petite diamonds sparkles, despite the gloomy atmosphere.

No comments: