8/13/09

Pathetic

Carson swallows hard, the level of tension starting to lower then ease off. He stares at the outstretched ring being handed back to him, then back up to Misty's eyes.

Sighing deeply, he takes it back. "It was stupid of me to think this would work. We're just... I don't know." He closes the box lid with a snap. "You don't have anything to be sorry about anyway. It's me and I know it. I just-"

"Oh, this is pathetic."

Carson flinches as Dani suddenly joins them. She sets her hands on her hips and looks between them. "First, dear brother of mine, do you really expect a girl to say yes to you when you just haphazardly toss the ring to her? What were you thinking?!" She turns to Misty. "And you, of all people! You love this man to death, and you're turning him down because you're in the middle of a pity party. You both are!" She shakes her head. "Unbelievable... totally unbelievable. I don't know what happened earlier - I don't want to know. But for pete's sake. This really is pathetic."

Spinning around, she heads for the hallway. "I'm getting a towel for you, Misty. Carson, get your act together before I come back."

Carson's eyes have widened slightly and he looks back to the ring in his hand, to Misty, then to Dani, then back to Misty. Left alone for just a couple moments, he shrugs. "For once, I think my little sister is right."

Stepping closer to Misty, he takes the ring again, holding it out to her. "Misty Miller, I'm asking you to marry me. I don't know when, I don't know how but I'm asking you anyway. I'm tired of the games, I'm tired of the questions, I'm tired of wondering if you'll still be mine tomorrow. So... for the second time, are you going to accept this ring? Because even if you don't, I'm still gonna love you to death, so you might as well accept it and say yes."

No comments: