8/13/09

Kassidy

Carson looks up from the table, his thumb having run back and forth, back and forth until Misty came. Looking across at her, his eyes are tired, the anger gone. He'd had enough time to cool down.

"You're right," he states flatly. "I'm always sorry. I always screw things up, I always go about things the wrong way, and I always make a mess."

Sighing deeply, he shakes his head, dropping his gaze. "I didn't kiss her like I kiss you, Misty. Yeah, I know I have a weakness and I know I have bad habits that I'm still trying to cut out. But the last time really was the last time and I haven't gotten involved with anyone but you, since."

Reaching into his shirt, he pulls out the locket. "I'm not playing games when I wear this... or this." He pulls up his shirt sleeve, showing the tattoo he still wore. "I wasn't joking around."

It's a long pause before he goes on, first by untucking a piece of paper from his pocket. "I was with Kassidy today because of this.... it's a password that may help me reach the files I need to prove what really happened to Scott at the Agency. Now yes..." He bravely proceeds with his admittance. "...I know Kassidy in ways that aren't appropriate for me to say in any conversation. She owed me a favor, and I called it in. She's wanted out of the Agency for a long time, but hasn't had the guts. So she was willing to help. When I met her out at the edge of town, the first thing she did was sling her arms around me and told me to play along. The Agency was probably watching her, and they thought she was just out for a good time. If it didn't look real, they'd kill her. So... I played along."

Carson shrugs lamely. "It was a split-second decision and... and... I don't know what, but it was an act, and I'm sorry it hurt you. I don't know who else was tailing me... I suspect it was Wyatt, and no one else could have known what was really going on. Kassidy backed off but was afraid to slip me the password right away, so she got in my car and we went for a drive. We stopped for a while, then I drove her back. It never went further than that, and even when she grabbed me the first time, I hated every second of it."

Taking a deep breath, he searches Misty's eyes. "I... I didn't want you finding out, not because I was trying to hide it, but because I didn't want exactly this to happen - you to get upset when there's nothing there. Kassidy is gone and that's all there was. Nothing more. Now I have a password, and I'm one step closer to the truth about Scott."

No comments: