7/9/08

Excuse me

Even though Jason and Katie shared almost everything...quite literally at times... his cheeks grow warm at her ending remark. Camryn certainly had taken his breath away on a different level...but talking about with Katie was just... He tries not to think about it, for the sake of saving himself further embarrassment.

But there was something that caught his attention even more. Katie's comment about him shutting down. Pulling himself up further in bed to sit straighter, he furrows his brow, confused. And for just a brief instant, there's a hope that maybe something somewhere had worked to stop the connection between them.

He shakes his head slowly. "Katie...as much as I believe you should learn to live without feeling me, I didn't shut down...that's why I apologized. I didn't even think about it until just now when I realized you must have felt everything."

His eyes search hers, the question lingering. But something invades his previous hope...a thought that had never occurred to him, and he hoped was not true. Approaching with caution, he eyes Katie. "Did you...block me out instead?"


Carson gives a little smile and nods, standing up from the bed and slinging his arm around Misty. "Alright...let's get going then. I'm a bit hungry myself."

Checking out of the motel, they walk just the short distance to the cafe. Entering, the bell on the door rings, and they walk up the counter, scanning the board on the wall as the menu.

Just as Carson is about to order, he hears the bell again, and his peripheral vision catches sight of two police officers, entering the cafe casually for their own breakfast.

Smooth as silk, Carson thinks on his feet and looks a the guy behind the counter, once more, dropping his accent. "Say, you don't have any crepes, do you? Not them fluffy pancakes, but those nice thin..." He sees the young man shake his head, so lets the sentence go. "Ah, well, it was worth a try. Maybe I'll check out that other place down the road."

Turning around, he deliberately bumps into Misty. "Oh, I'm sorry, miss. Excuse me." He nods to another gentleman who is sipping his coffee, and slips out side, heading back to the motel where their car still was.

No comments: