7/9/08

Don't know

Carson gives Misty's cheek a soft brush with the back of his hand before she gets up, and as she leaves the room, he just lies still for a while, trying to wake up....trying to gather his thoughts.

Finally though, he rises and takes a quick shower, putting back on the same set of clothes. Waiting for Misty, he checks his phone for messages and sees that people have been trying to call him. Mostly Reese. Giving in, he listens to several, the last one worrying him just a little.

"Carson, look...I don't know why you got involved with that fighting ring, but it wasn't worth breaking jail over. There's police everywhere looking for you. The longer you run, the worse it will be for you. If you feel you need to keep running, so be it. But please...have Misty come back...Don't put her on the wrong side of the law with you."

Carson sighs and shuts his phone again. Zane said he had eyes everywhere...Carson could risk no other moves. Zane probably knew he'd been with Dani yesterday, and if Carson had tried to get her away, or go to the police, they probably all would have been gunned down. He couldn't call Reese...he couldn't be found. Not until this was over. Once he had Zane, he could call the police and have him arrested. But he had to get that far first.

When Misty returns, Carson is back sitting on the bed, still thinking. "Well...how about that breakfast? After that we can go scout out the drop off point and form a plan for tomorrow morning."


Jason forces a smile for Katie and gives her hand a little squeeze. "I'm okay. Sorry I scared you, but I don't know what happened." He shakes his head, still unsure about it. "It was just a little while after you left...Camryn and I were...." He stops as a realization hits him. "Oh, Katie..." He looks up at her with apology. "I did it again, didn't I?" He sighs, not realizing that she had thought he'd shut her out. "I know you don't like me apologizing, but I am sorry...I need to remember you from now on."

Jason tries to get his mind back on track. "Anyway, I just got this really bad headache, then fell asleep. A while later though, I woke up and could hardly breathe. Felt like I was under a ton of bricks and someone had a pillow over my face. Hurt like the dickens too." He gingerly rubs his chest, still able to recall the feeling. "I honestly thought I was going to suffocate, then about two o'clock, it just...went away."

He looks up at Katie lamely. "Rick's trying to figure out what it was...now he's even more scared to let me out of here."

No comments: