6/3/08

Reasoning

Carson finally turns around as Misty talks, his eyes revealing that despite his physical misery, he was still trying to sort things through.

A faint smile quirks just the corner of his mouth as Misty talks about the way she feels about him. Sighing, he stops what he's doing and sinks back down on the bed, sitting next to her. "I guess when I saw Ashlyn dying, the first thing that came to my mind was that she hadn't had the same chance I had."

Looking down, it's evident that Carson is struggling to say these things, but he's trying to, if just for Misty. "I thought about the past some, sure, but...when I realized that she'd died still within the Agency...I wished that I'd tried to get her out like I had. I suddenly realized that I'd never tried to convince her to leave, even when I'd found something better. I never tried to show her the real truth, or that there was more than the Agency. Feelings for her aside...I should have at least tried to talk to her about leaving the Agency...but she never had a chance."

He shakes his head, giving a dry laugh as unexpected and unwanted tears come to his eyes. "She told me not to let the Agency take me...so she knew there was more...she knew I'd found something better...yet I'd never tried to save her. I guess that's what I feel sorry for the most. Ashlyn was not a nice woman...but I wasn't a nice guy either. I've done just as much wrong as she ever did, if not more, and I still had a chance to turn around and find people who cared. I guess...I just wish I could have offered her the same thing."

Turning, Carson looks at Misty. "I'm speaking as one who has found care for an individual's well-being...not one who wanted to dig up past feelings for someone. I like being with you, Misty...and I don't want to trade that for anything."


Jason watches Katie leave, feeling better than a few minutes earlier. He wasn't sure what he was supposed to be doing about himself, but as far as he and Katie were concerned, they seemed to be heading down the right road for once.

Trying to concentrate on work isn't easy, but by lunchtime, he's accomplished enough tasks to make Reese happy. As his stomach grumbles, he knows he needs to eat something, but anything in the breakroom had little appeal. A meatball sub sounded awfully good right now.

Glancing at the clock, Jason figures it shouldn't be too awful busy at Mom and Pop's yet, and it would get him out of the office for a while. It was hard being here all day...so much to think about...so many things that brought on things he didn't want to dwell on.

Making sure Trooper is settled, Jason grabs his helmet and heads out.

Arriving at the friendly restaurant, Jason parks his bike out front and ambles to the door, automatically ducking just slightly to miss the ringing bell. Glancing around, he sees his favorite booth is empty, so he aims in that direction.

No comments: