3/7/08

Would you....

Jason stays on his feet in defense mode, crossing his arms. He grits his teeth as his pulse begins to quicken. Control yourself, Jason. Stop it. Jamie’s questions hit below the belt.

Yes, Katie had broken through his walls.

His heart begins to race.

Yes, when he looked into Katie’s eyes, something happened to him deep down that he couldn’t explain.

Jason closes his eyes for just a moment, his jaw muscles working over time. He sees Katie’s face in his mind. He replays past events. He sees her with Wyatt. He tries to gain a glimpse of the future. He recalls Wyatt’s words, still fresh in his mind. He senses again the confusion in Katie.

...He envisions what she really deserves.

He looks back to Jamie quickly, staring her straight in the eye. “No.”


Ty laughs a little bit, shrugging off the whole thing. “Don’t worry about it. I’m just glad you’re okay. I mean…I guess I wanted to come visit you sooner, but hospitals sorta freak me out and…” He stops, his face reddening a little bit. “Okay, so I just got up enough nerve this morning.” He grimaces at himself. “Sorry. Wyatt’s been keeping me informed about what’s been happening. I wasn’t sure you’d want any more visitors either, so….yeah.” He sighs. “I, um…I wanted to tell you….I finally talked to Wyatt about….about me not being able to read. And um…he got me a job with some janitorial stuff over where you guys work…TJY? So….yeah.” His face starts to redden more. “Katie, I…I kind of had a question for you….and I know this isn’t a great time with you in here and all…and you don’t…I mean…you don’t have to say yes, but, I was kinda wondering, well…and I'd want to repay you somehow of course...” His eyes fall to the floor. “I thought maybe since you were one of the few who know about my problem that…that maybe you could teach me how to read?”

No comments: