3/7/08

Don't know how

Katie's excitement is contagious, and Jason has a hard time suppressing his own. A smile can't be helped as she talks, the enthusiasm growing. He looks down at the picture, noting how good of a job Katie had done. "I didn't realize how artistic you were," he comments, and sets the picture on the bedside table, not wanting to smudge or wrinkle it.
"Autographs, huh?" He laughs. "A little local band with party and picnic gigs, signing autographs?" He grins and shakes his head. "The guys would like you, ya know that? Those three are crazy...they're perfectly content sticking around this area and having fun, but they're so enthusiastic, any little gig, you'd think they were playing for five thousand people."
Jason becomes a little more sober. "They're a fun group to be with..."

He sighs and pats Katie's hands that are lying on his arm. "I just don't think it would work, Katie. I can't imagine leaving TJY, even for a summer. I loved playing with the band tonight...I loved it even more than I thought I would. But how could I give up my passion for helping people and solving cases through TJY? And besides that, I'm still stuck on the Agency case whether I like it or not... if I went off with Jetstream, I'd be risking them too...I couldn't do that to them." He looks down, trying not to care so much. "And on top of that...if I stuck with them for the summer...what would I do after that? Drop them?" He shakes his head. "On Monday, I'm just going to have to tell them no. I don't see any way around it."

Confused and tired, Jason kicks off his shoes and shifts to the side enabling him to lie down on his back next to Katie, throwing her a teasing grin to end the conversation for now. His brain hurt too much to think about it any more. "So is there anything good on tv tonight?" His eyes focus up on the screen, his intentions to keep Katie company, while watching the movie that's playing.

He yawns as his exhaustion starts to sink in deeper, and his eyes grow heavy. It's harder than he thought to stay awake, as the evening begins to catch up to him. He tries to watch the movie, wanting to spend time with Katie to make up for him being late tonight, but it seems impossible. Catching himself starting to doze at one point, he makes the decision to say goodnight and head to the extra bed, but his body refuses to wake up enough to do it. Before he knows it, his eyes are closed. Rolling over in his sleep, he winds up on his side, his free arm curled around Katie, and his head next to hers, never even waking.

No comments: