3/8/08

Disbelief

It pains Con’s heart to hear the lack of life in Katie’s voice. “Hey, it can’t be all that bad, can it?” He draws her away and tries to wipe away her tears just a little awkwardly. “I’m sure Jason didn’t just walk out for good… just because he’s staying at my place doesn’t mean anything, does it?”

Con’s cell phone buzzes on his belt and he almost doesn’t answer it, but then decides he better in case it had something to do with this. “Yeah?” His eyes widen, and he slowly releases Katie to move away from her bed, turning his back to her. “What do you mean you just received his resignation? What are you talking about?” His heart leaps into his throat. “No, I don’t…honest, Carter! He didn’t say anything to me. No…no, just… agh…tell Wyatt to come see Katie, okay? I’ll go back to my place and look.”

Con ends the call and turns back to Katie to sit back down beside her. “Hey…Wyatt’s gonna come in a few minutes, alright?” He expects this news to help lighten her spirits some.

No comments: