6/21/08

Trade

Carson returns Misty’s kiss and gives her hand a squeeze, thought he doesn’t respond verbally. He didn’t have to. She knew he understood she was there for him.

Taking a deep breath, he finally gets himself up off the ground and pulls Misty up with him. “Dinner sounds splendid, but how about tomorrow night instead? Tonight is my errand night and that means store, laundry and who knows what else that would bore your pretty little head to death.” He roughs up her hair teasingly. “Come on and get me inside before someone thinks I skipped out on work today.


Reese is just turning from Nate’s cubicle when he hears Susanne’s voice over the intercom telling him he has a call.

Rolling his eyes, he scans the area for a moment, and grabs the nearest phone. “Yes? Oh, yes, hi. What?”

Carson enters the floor with Misty under his arm, striding toward his cubicle. Passing Reese, he stops for a moment, sensing the seriousness of the call.

Reese furrows his brow and steals a pen and piece of paper from someone’s desk. “Where did they fine the body? Across town?” He writes some notes down. “Bullet straight through the head, eh? Think it was a professional job?” He nods grimly. “Yeah, sure…I’ll send someone down to check it out. Thanks.”

Hanging up, he looks to see Carson and Misty. “Ah, just the guy I wanted to see. We got a homicide at the east end of town. Brown wants one of us to scout out the sight…he wants to meet someone there at five.”

Carson hesitates. “Where is it?”

“Warehouse on fifth street.”

Carson’s eyes shift down to his cubicle, then back to Reese. “Can you send Wyatt? I got an engagement tonight.”

“Well I was hoping for you,” Reese insists. “Can your plans wait?”

“I’d prefer they didn’t,” Carson emphasizes.

“You realize this is your job.”

“Can’t you at least ask Wyatt?”

“What’s so important you cant miss?”

Carson frowns at Reese. “I do have a personal life.”

Reese sighs and throws up his hands. “I thought you’d be the best man, but I don’t have time to stand around and argue. Fine. I’ll ask Wyatt.” Spinning around, he heads for his office.

Carson sighs and waits a moment before aiming back for his own cubicle, the tension thick as he remains quiet.


Bret raises an eyebrow at Charlotte as her comment slides from her mouth. He gives her a wry grin and shakes his head. “I’d be careful if I were you. The last woman who dared throw me a line like that ended up marrying me.”

As the game ends, he gives a short chuckle. “Too bad…I never got to find out what you’d want.” Following her back to the bar, he waves off the bartender. He’d already had two bottles. “Better not give me another one, Mark. I gotta drive.” He grabs a stool though, not yet ready to leave. Throwing Charlotte a sly glance, he cocks his head daringly. “How about a date instead of a drink?”

No comments: