6/21/08

mystery

Carson doesn’t withdraw from Misty’s touch, but winces just a little as she runs a finger over his bruise.

He straightens out his legs and looks down at his burn, not answering Misty for a long while. “Met an old buddy of mine about a week or so ago. Started hanging out with him after work.” Carson shrugs, his eyes remaining glued to his hand instead of Misty’s face. “Guess he’s more part of my old life than I thought…brought up stuff that I hadn’t thought about in a while. Anyway…” He pauses again. “Had him over to my place last night and…we got to drinking. Guess I had too much. I think I ran into a doorframe…least ways that’s the best I could figure when I woke up this morning.”

He finally looks up and turns his head to Misty. “But it’s over…I’m gonna tell him no more and…he’s not coming over anymore. So…” He shrugs again. “There.”


A genuine look of pleasure passes through Jason’s eyes at Katie’s enthusiasm. “Alright…we’ll do that soon then.” He finally keeps up his route to his office, leaving the main floor behind.


A short while later, Reese grabs his files to take to Nate and takes aim out of his office. Walking down by the cubicles, he notices that Lockheart is still there, chatting with Katie. The idea that had come to mind earlier comes back again, and he shoves it aside as silly, but as he nears, he can’t let it go. He offers a small smile. “Hey, didn’t know you were still around.” He pauses, knowing good and well a bit of color was coming to his face, which made his hesitance all the more worse. “Since I caught you again, um, Sheriff Brown and his wife are meeting me for supper at a nice little restaurant downtown. You’re welcome to join us if you’d like. I could pick you up…”


Bret gives Charlotte a sidelong glance, his mouth forming a grin. He extends his hand to grasp hers in a firm shake. “Bret. And you’re on. But don’t get any preconceived ideas about how well I play – you might be surprised at how easily you beat me.” He slides off the barstool and starts to saunter to the pool table. “’Course then we’ll get to decide what it is you want for winning…that mystery in itself might cause me to throw the game.” He starts to retrieve the pool balls, rolling them onto the table from the last game that had been played. Finished, he bows slightly. “Ladies first.”

No comments: