5/4/08

I don't know how

The words that Misty speaks dig down deep, touching the untouchable parts of Carson’s heart. Fearful to look back at her, he keeps his gaze to the water. His chest feels as though it might burst, if he keeps everything inside any longer. But Misty’s words were true…he didn’t know how to let it out.

He could feel his one last chance slipping through his fingers, and dreaded seeing Misty walk away. But suddenly, that fear is gone in an instant.

As Misty sinks onto his lap, he gives a start, not having expected it. He withdraws his feet from the other chair to sit up straighter, and his arms immediately wrap around Misty in a hold that never wanted to let go.

He presses her to his chest, burying his face in her hair. “I’m so sorry,” he whispers. “I was wrong…and when I thought I’d lost you for good, my whole world stopped spinning.”

Feeling Misty’s tears soak through his shirt bring out Carson’s own pain, driving his uncontrolled emotions to the surface in the form of his own tears that he kept from spilling over.

He simply holds Misty for several minutes, the noise around them fading as if they were the only two people in the world.

Any anger Carson had felt was gone…with such relief…with such elation to be holding Misty again, there was no room for it.

Finally, Carson takes Misty’s shoulders to push her back just a little. His hand brushes the hair from her face, and wipes the tears from her cheek. “Can you forgive a bloke for being a fool?” he asks quietly. He searches her eyes, trying to find the key to unlocking her soul once more. Sorrow fills his gaze. “I don’t know how to love, Misty…I thought I did, and I was wrong… but I want to learn...” He swallows hard as an unwanted tear finally escapes. “Can you find it in your heart to stick around long enough to show me how?”

No comments: