5/11/08

How would you feel

After Katie’s initial response she grows quiet, and Scott cocks his head a little, wondering what was going through her mind.

He gets his answer as she admits she’s not doing great, and his eyes soften with compassion. It really was hard for her, dealing with what Jason was doing. Scott didn’t understand the connection there, but he respected it and knew it was real.

Her request for honesty is understandable, and Scott gives her a little smile. “You don’t have to worry about me, Katie. I’m not gonna lie or hide from you now or ever. You’re too good for that.”

Scott would like to say more…he’d like to give her a hug of encouragement…be close to show her he understands and it’s okay. But now was not the time. Instead, he throws her a quick wink. “Thanks for the paperwork. Maybe I’ll catch you around lunchtime in the break room,” he hints.

Scooting out of her cubicle, he pushes off backward with his feet again to slide back to his own area. A few moments later a crash is heard, then Scott’s voice. “I’m okay!”


Carson’s eyes narrow as he looks at Misty sternly, his face expertly showing no emotion. “Misty Miller, I have half a mind to turn you over my knee for your behavior. You relentlessly insist on driving me crazy, and you know good and well you can drive me up a wall in an instant, and yet you persist.”

As Misty draws closer, Carson looks down at her. “However…once I’ve contemplated everything involved…I think my best option is to simply finish that conversation of ours. Now…I remember what I was going to say when you so rudely cut me off.”

Reaching out he grabs Misty to pull her into his arms and sweeps her into a dip, planting another kiss on her lips. Satisfied, he brings her back up and turns to open the door, abruptly ending the exchange. “Ladie’s first, and be quick before we’re late. You’ve kept us out here long enough.”


Reese nods in agreement to Lockheart, turning to Brown. “She’s right. I have a loyal staff that deserves to know everything. I had a mind not to even bring their names into this, but they insisted on being a team.”

Brown gives a slight nod. “I respect that. And…just so you know…I’ll still help you work on those pardons even if you want TJY to disband instead of forming the Elite.”

“We appreciate that.” Reese pauses, looking to Lockheart, then back to Brown again. “So…I guess it’s in your court. What happens next?”

“You go back to TJY and talk to your staff. I’m going to make some phone calls and pull some strings. I’ve got some clout with Judge Barker…” Brown pauses. “I know a few things about him he wouldn’t exactly want to go public. If I can pull the right strings with the right people…there’s a strong chance we can get Jason out of prison and without a retrial.”

Reese shows his surprise. “How can you do that?”

“Easy. If there’s a retrial, the department is going to look stupid, and Judge Barker will be put in the spotlight. No one wants that. If I play my cards right, I can get written notice to have Jason acquitted. Then we can move on to getting those pardons – that one will require a court hearing, though if I have it my way, it won’t be with Barker.”


Con enters the main floor at TJY and scans for the familiar faces. He greets Nate with a wave, says hi to Laura, then stops at Jamie’s desk, producing a small bouquet of flowers. “These are for you.” He smiles and leans down to kiss her forehead. “For sticking it out with me and being so patient.”

Not giving too much time to talk, Con retreats, going to Susanne for a report since Reese is gone, then heading to Katie’s cubicle. He knows everyone will be dispersing soon for lunch, but he at least wants to check on her.

“Hey there, Kat.” He grins and leans on the cubicle wall. “How ya doing today?”


Mick stops and turns as Rosetta catches up to him outside, but quickly resumes his walk, though slow. He gestures with his head to have her follow him. Instead of aiming for the barn as intended he heads for the pasture fence to lean on it and just look out at the grazing horses.

He doesn’t answer Rosetta right away, still thinking…still contemplating… Was this really right? Was it fair? Was it best?

Sighing, he turns his head to look at Rosetta, his elbows still leaning on the top fence rail. He wanted what was right for them…but he couldn’t make decisions that would affect them on his own.

“Rosetta…I know we’ve had plans…I know you’ve been making plans…for the future…for us… And I don’t even know if this is fair to you to even ask you this… but I want to, and if you don’t think it’s wise, then I just want you to say so…”

Mick’s eyes search hers, the love showing through. But there’s just no easy way to ask. “A lot is happening now with TJY and the Agency and no one knows what he results will be. And we never know when the battle with the Agency will be over…”

He pauses for just a moment. “Rosetta…how would you feel about getting married in two weeks and starting a family with a little six-year-old boy before he gets lost in the system?”

No comments: