3/31/08

Disappointed

Carson looks at Nate dimly. Though his words hit deeper than he’d care to admit, he ignored them. “The only light at the end of my tunnel, is the chance to get back at a handful of people for what they turned me into. I have nothing else to live for. Anything else was taken away a long time ago, and any faith I had was destroyed. I’m glad you apparently live in a good enough world that you can have such a positive outlook…” He shakes his head. “…but for someone like me? Naw, mate, there isn’t much left but a bunch of empty grudges. Take me, beat me, run me through the wringer…I don’t much care anymore.”


Reese’s eyes widen. Rick’s jaw drops.

“You…” Reese blinks in disbelief. “How…” He stops, allowing Misty to go on. Hearing her out, he straightens a bit, not sure how he should be feeling. Exchanging a look with Rick, it is apparent he’s not the only one who is confused.

Reese steps forward, laying both hands on Misty’s shoulders. “First, thank you for telling me. I…I’m not sure what to think though…I’m shocked that not only would you allow Carson to do that, but that you would encourage it.” He frowns a little, not wanting to be too harsh, but unsure now of what to do. “I…I appreciate your concern for him…and I understand what you’re saying. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t have allowed him to be here. Carson deserves just as much a chance as anyone. But…” He shakes his head a little, still frowning, though not angry. “I just can’t have this happening. His fault, your fault, whatever…I think maybe it would be a good idea if you didn’t interact with him. Like it or not, right now, he’s still our prisoner, per say, and like it or not, I don’t approve of any kind of shallow relationship formed by impulsive behavior.”

Reese pauses, searching his nieces eyes. “I love you, Misty, and I want you here. So let’s put this incident behind us and move on.”

No comments: