3/31/08

Apology

Carson gives half a lame laugh. “How many reasons are there for finding a woman in a man’s arms?” He shakes his head. “If I say anything but what that doctor said, it would be assumed as a blatant lie anyway. I may be out to save my own hide here, but arguing won’t do me a bit of good, so I might as well not. I’m in enough hot water the way it is, without making it worse.”

He pauses, squinting one eye at Nate, once again, trying to figure him out. “Just take me for what you see, Nate. This is all I am. This is all I’ll ever be.”


Reese’s office door is opened by Rick, who is still on edge. Reese is standing by his desk, and looks at Misty with concern. “Are you okay? I should have known better than to not have a better handle on Carson while he was free, and I’m sorry.”

No comments: