3/31/08

Asking

Carson sinks down on his cot when he’s been left alone, and lets out a long sigh. This was strange…he hadn’t planned on emotions in the mix. All he’d wanted was to get a simple job done. Period. But things weren’t quite turning out that way.


Reese watches his niece leave, then shakes his head before sitting back down at his desk. “Well…that was strange.”

“No kidding.” Rick quirks an eyebrow. “I thought she was…well…I don’t know… reserved, maybe?”

“Me too.” Reese purses his lips in thought. “I just can’t believe she would have encouraged Carson. But…I guess we move on.”


Laura looks at the clock and sighs. She’d worked later than planned. Con had already called her once to find out where she was. Her car had been towed hours before, and she was still stuck without a ride. She really didn’t want to bother Nate, but she’d run out of options. She knew he hadn’t left yet – she’d kept an eye out and hadn’t seen him walk by.

Finally making up her mind, she makes her way to his desk, noting that almost everyone else was gone already. Seeing Nate, she hesitates, feeling silly…it wasn’t like her to hesitate. “Hey, um, Nate?” She scrunches up her nose in a slight grimace. “That offer for a ride still open? I, um…guess I could use that lift home. I need to go back over to Jamie’s after that, but I could have Con come get me for that if you don’t want to go running all over town. I’d be happy to help pay for gas…”

No comments: