1/27/08

Phone call

Clint wanders outside and heads to Wes’ shop. Just as he reaches the door, his cell phone buzzes on his belt. Rolling his eyes, he stops with the door halfway open, and answers the call. “Yeah…Ted? No! I don’t know! I sent it to Dan. He was supposed to….” Clint rolls his eyes, and paces in a small circle, not remembering that the door is still open. “Yeah, I know all that. I got a call about that yesterday. …What? He’s breathing down my neck, Ted! What would you suggest? I tried! No, all it taught me was not to trust Dan, that’s for sure….. Yes, I asked him point blank. Said he didn’t have a clue what I was talking about, and I’m out a thousand bucks that I haven’t even earned yet. How do you think that’s supposed to make me feel?” He stops pacing and looks at the ground with a moan. “Of course I haven’t said anything about it – I’m too embarrassed. I’m just gonna have to save it until I’ve got the whole chunk, then deliver it myself. ……I know it’s dangerous. I’m looking over my shoulder constantly, but what else am I supposed to do?” He sighs and shakes his head. “If you see him, tell him I’m working on it. I know he won’t be happy, but that’s the best I can do.”
Clint ends his call and leans against the outside of the shop, trying to collect his thoughts. He’d messed up twice now. What kind of brains had he ended up with anyway?


Jason get himself situated in a sitting position on his bed again, still feeling as though he’s in shock. “I just can’t believe it,” he talks mostly to himself as Katie checks her email. “TJY is all I’ve known…it’s what I’ve been trained to do…and it’s being taken away. Because I was stupid…” He scoffs at himself. “You’d think someone with brains like mine could figure out when to keep his mouth shut and when to stop when he’s ahead. Now my future is in jeopardy. And why? First, because I was stupid. And second because my own grandfather turned me in!” He shakes his head and leans back into his pile of pillows.
Suddenly he realizes that Katie is quiet. He glances over to her, and is immediately concerned as he sees her tears. What had happened. “Hey…Katie, you alright?”

No comments: