7/6/08

If you want to keep

Carson winces at Misty’s lack of care on his face, and tries to breath through the pain as she wraps his ribs. He can hear the tension in her voice and knew good and well that she was upset with him for bringing them here.

As she sits back down, Carson sits and leans his elbows on the table to rest his face in his hands. “I don’t know…I can’t think.”

Jaz watches their interaction closely, quirking an eyebrow. Seeing Carson on the verge of giving up, she shakes her head. Going to the cupboard she grabs a bottle of whiskey and a glass, pouring a double shot. Setting it down in front of Carson, she then puts the bottle away. “You can always spend the night.”

Carson lifts his head as he hears the glass clink on the table. “Apparently staying isn’t an option,” he states flatly, throwing Misty a perturbed sidelong glance.” Downing the whiskey, he cringes as it burns his throat, and it takes him a moment to speak again. “Unless my partner here wants to bail on me now, which she is free to do at any given time if she so pleases.”

Jaz raises an eyebrow and glances at Misty. “Honey, if you want to keep this guy, I wouldn’t give him too bad of a time. I can tell you don’t like being here, and I can’t blame you, but it is what it is.” She turns to go to the coffee pot, and pats Carson’s shoulder on her way. “Take it easy before you give yourself a hernia.”

Carson rolls his eyes. “We need to put distance between ourselves and the station, then at five, I’m expecting a call from my contact.”

“At least stay and eat something,” Jaz prompts. “Please…I can’t let you leave hungry.”

No comments: