7/21/08

Coming to an end

Laura lifts and eyebrow as Nate speaks, her curiosity growing. She patiently listens, wondering at his serious tone.

When he finally asks her on the camping trip, she almost laughs. She’d feared something serious, and this was a relief. Smiling, she shakes her head. “Nate Driers, you’re a doofus, but I don’t even have to think about this one. Of course I’d love to go camping with you two. It would be an honor to be included in that part of yours and Maggie’s life.”


Bret chuckles. “I don’t think I’ve ever been thanked for being in a bar before. Least of all for a time I was wallowing. But, for what it’s worth, you’re welcome. Though you should probably thank fate for that one.”

Grinning, he gives her hand a squeeze. “And I think it’s the same fate that’s knocking on my door right now, reminding me that unfortunately, I have work tomorrow, and…despite my desire to spend my entire night right here…maybe now’s a good time to slip away.”


As the fireworks begin to slow and the finale comes to an end, Scott tightens his grip around Katie. “Well my fair maiden…may I drive you home?”


Carson tilts his head to see Misty sleeping, and a smile creases his lips. Just watching her sleep, a new sensation washes over him. He’s not sure what it is…and if asked to describe it, he may not be able to. It wasn’t bad…it was more warm than anything…it felt good to a certain degree.

Seeing that the fireworks would be over soon, he shifts his weight and stands with Misty in his arms, letting her head rest against his shoulder and chest.

Walking past several of the others, he nods his goodnight and heads for his car. Once there, he maneuvers carefully to open the passenger door and set Misty inside, leaning over her to buckle her in.

Pausing before he straightens, he leaves a kiss on her forehead, his hand caressing her cheek for a moment. She was so peaceful.


Con sees Sarah out of the corner of his eye and he grins. It didn’t bother him one bit that the child was there. Rather it made him feel good. He enjoyed seeing Jamie interact with the children, and knowing that they would never have their own, he was glad that she was able to interact with others in different ways.

As the fireworks start coming to an end, Sarah’s mom comes over take the sleeping child, and Con gives Jamie a smile. “Think we should get going?”

No comments: