5/8/08

Company

As Laura's head is tilted upward and she sees Nate's eyes...feels his hand on her face...a warm tingle spreads through her.

Hearing his promise again, and feeling his kiss on her forehead, she finally manages a little smile. Straightening up, though still on his lap, she looks down and sighs. "I need to get back to work... Thanks, Nate... It...you...you mean a lot to me." She slides off his lap and starts back across the floor, but turns one more time, her eyes full of timidity. "You wouldn't...want to have lunch with me today?"


Scott smiles a little, glad to see Katie halfway alert, and finding her nickname for him amusing. She was the only one who ever called him that.

Domino wiggles her stub of a tail, her body wriggling under Katie's hand as she gets a little excited for the attention. She rolls over on her back and stares at Katie's face upside down, her tongue hanging out the side of her mouth and one paw waving in the air. Her antics seem to say "Come on, you know you want to pet me more because I'm so cute."

Scott chuckles a little and finally approaches the bed to sit down on the edge and responds to Katie's greeting. "Hey, Katie." He cocks his head. "How ya doing?"

Con pokes his head in the room for just a moment. "Everything okay?"

Scott looks up and nods. "I can stay a while if you want."

Con is tempted...if Scott stayed, he'd feel better about going to work. "Well, I don't want to..."

Scott quirks an eyebrow, interrupting him. "I offered." He pushes up his glasses. "I'll watch her for you."

"But..."

"I know you have to go to work," Scott reminds. "And besides, I don't want to go back to TJY just to fix another computer."

Sighing, Con relents. "Okay. But if anything changes, call the lumberyard, alright?"

"You got it." Scott watches Con leave, then turns back to Katie, reaching out to scratch Domino's belly. "Looks like you got company for a while as long as you don't mind it."

No comments: