2/2/08

Apology Accepted

Mick chuckles and manages to get himself up off the couch to stretch again. “If a crick in the neck is the worst thing, then I’m doing alright.” He gives Rosetta’s shoulder a light pat. “I gotta go clean up and change clothes. I’ll be back for breakfast.”

Cindy accepts Wes’ hug, mustering up as much of a smile as she can. She looks down at her coffee, just letting Wes arm remain around her.

Clint finally makes it to the mess hall, and aims for the kitchen, rubbing his shoulder gingerly.



Jason stares at Katie, unsure how to react, or what to say, if anything. He opens his mouth to rebuke her apology – she had done nothing wrong. But she keeps talking, so he remains silent.
Her words stung just a little for some reason…they had an impact he hadn’t expected. What did Katie really want? Did their friendship really mean that much to her too? She was obviously willing to face him, apologize whether she needed to or not, and risk rejection in order to salvage what they had. That couldn’t go ignored. But what should he do? Should he just forget about what had happened, for her sake? Or did he need to say something too?

Katie doesn’t give him a chance to do either though as she walks away. He just sits for a moment, feeling a new sensation…no one had ever said they’d be proud to call him their friend before… He glances over his shoulder as Katie leaves, wondering if they really can get past this bump in the road.

Rosetta’s hand on his shoulder startles him and he turns around quickly to look up at her. Her words were the last thing he expected to hear, and he knows the look on his face must show some surprise.
As Rosetta continues to speak, he furrows his brow a little, trying to understand the implications of what was being said. Had he really had such an impact on Katie? Was that a good thing or a bad thing? Rosetta implied it was good. But was it his own fault that he and Katie had gotten to this point now? Should he have held back sooner so things didn’t get this far? Apparently Rosetta viewed Katie’s change as positive, not negative. He hadn’t ever thought he could affect anyone…he’d always just been a loner….

When Rosetta concludes with her own apology, Jason shoves aside the thoughts of Katie for the moment. He purses his lips in thought, giving a slight nod. “The situation probably could have been handled better, and I chose a route that stirred things up royally – for that I’m the one who should apologize. I realize now you were worried sick, and that wasn’t right of me to put you in that position.” He shrugs. “I’m glad I left…and I’m glad Katie was with me. If I could do it all over again, I don’t know if I’d do it differently or not, but I’m sorry what I did caused people to worry.”

No comments: