7/26/09

If

Thirteen's voice and tears cut Ryder to the quick. He knew that even though he wasn't meaning to, that Thirteen was taking his actions like a cold shoulder. He hadn't wanted it this way. But Reese had been firm, and that, mixed with a bit of guilt, resulted in this necessary decision.

"I'm sorry..." His voice softens. Reaching out, he pulls Thirteen a little closer, tucking her hair behind her ear. "I just... it has to be this way. Please try to understand... for me? I... I'm sorry."

His eyes search hers, trying to convey what was going on. How could he tell her that this was out of his hands? How could he tell her that he was sorry for earlier... that Reese was right - he shouldn't have taken her to Jason's? How could he tell her that he knew he shouldn't have kissed her? He was on duty... this was his job. He needed to respect the rules... not only for his job's sake, but for her sake as well. It wasn't right that he was the only thing in her life... she needed more.

"I'm sorry," he repeats again. "I'll be in my cubicle and I'll see you for lunch."


Dani's stomach gives a little lurch as Dalton's hand runs down her face. She swallows hard and can feel the heat replacing the tears.

Hearing what he has to say, she blinks and straightens just a little, confused for a moment. "I..." Letting him finish, her eyebrows rise. Suddenly she wasn't worried about the trouble she was in, but rather she wanted to understand just what Dalton was saying.

Before she can stop it, a little giggle breaks through. She didn't mean to make fun of him in the least. But hearing him fumbling around his words hit her as cute and even charming in a way that she couldn't help the giggle.

"Yes." The reply was out before she could think. "If... if I'm not in to much trouble here."

No comments: