7/26/09

How could you

Ryder stares over Thirteen's shoulder into the mirror, the only emotion showing through a little grin at the corner of his mouth.

In response to her question, he moves around in front of her, bent low so his face is inches from hers, his hands on the chair beside her shoulders. "I think you're beautiful. And don't you ever let anyone else tell you otherwise."


Leo watches Ryan walk away and straightens up, his mouth hanging open for a minute. "But... it... I... I just..."

Inwardly kicking himself, he steps after her, getting between her and the car she was going to work on. "I didn't say I didn't want to go," he corrects. "But how many times have you told me no? You can't blame me for not believing you."

Bouncing up to sit on the hood of the car so Ryan couldn't open it yet, he looks up at her with a grin. "How could I say no to you? What time do you get off work?"


"I'm sorry!"

"Dani, how could you?!" Carson paces inside the interrogation room, his temper rising. "I thought you were smarter than that!"

"He told me he could prove he was innocent!" A tear runs down Dani's cheek. She'd barely had time to get ready for anything this morning when Carson had received a phone call of confirmation from Reese, and she'd been brought in to TJY for questioning. Alec was back in the holding cell.

"And you believed him?!" Still upset, Carson looks at his watch. "I gotta go. Aerith and Mabel are already opening up the restaurant and I can't bail on them today. You're gonna have to deal with Reese yourself."

"But Carson-"

"No! You got yourself into this mess. I can't spend my time fighting your battle. You were stupid enough to think Alec was legit, and to swallow his lies and help him escape, you can figure out how to get yourself out of this. I'll see you later."

Seeing her brother heading out the door, another tear falls from Dani's eye as her lower lip trembles. She hadn't meant to cause trouble. She'd believed Alec... she thought he was good deep down, like Carson was. She knew she shouldn't have helped him escape but he'd said he would come back in an hour with evidence.

Standing up from the table, she knew she should be grateful they hadn't locked her in here. Reese was being as nice as possible, letting her tell him when she was ready to talk. But this was still scary and she didn't know what would happen, now that she'd helped a criminal escape.

Wandering into the hall, Dani swipes at her eyes and ducks her gaze as someone passes her. She would go to Reese's office and let him know she was ready. There wasn't much to tell. He probably knew everything already. But if something was going to happen to her because of all this then... she would find out now.

Her feet scuffed on the floor as she headed to the offices on the other side of the main floor. Passing an open door, she glances up just in time to see Dalton, but she's quick to lower her eyes again. She was so ashamed and she hurt too, for upsetting her brother like she had.

No comments: