2/20/09

Whose side

"You're very dedicated to your work." There was genuine admiration in Ryder's voice, for the bold words Katie spoke.

But when she questions him, he hesitates again. Forcing a smile to the surface though, he squints at her. "And why do you still not trust me?" But guilt laid behind his eyes and he knew it. He wanted to get up and walk away, but with Katie still sitting in front of him, he didn't have an easy route of escape.

Finally, he purses his lips, becoming a little more sober. "Look, Katie... this is bigger than just you guys coming here for your antidote. This is a chance for me, and I don't want to blow it. If I told your blokes what was going on though, they'd leave me in the dust, and I can't risk that. Now you can go tell them I'm hiding something, or you can trust me that I'm here to help and leave it at that."

While his gaze asked for understanding, and tried to convince Katie that he was a friend, there was still evidence of a hidden agenda... hidden plans... whose side was he really on?

No comments: