2/20/09

Not worth it

Hope glimmers in Ryder's eyes. "Really? You don't know what this means to me. I mean... I'm here for you guys, but... if we can get Brian too..."

The crooked smile returns. "Thanks, Katie. Even if we can't do it, I appreciate your willingness to help." He pauses, then nods his head at her question. "The Agency keeps anyone they can in their clutches for as long as their prisoners can last. I'm sure you know this. They kill parents, grab the kids and make them their slaves."

Suddenly, a shadow appears in the doorway, and Carson leans against the frame casually, looking through the screen at Katie and Ryder. Getting a surprised look from Ryder, Carson shakes his head, speaking very casually. "I didn't mean to interrupt. Please, keep going. I was just waiting for you to tell Katie why TJY hadn't supported a rescue mission."

Something flashes in Ryder's eyes and he takes a step back. "What? I mean... that's what happened with your friend Scott wasn't it? TJY just didn't want the risk."

"TJY didn't have proof Scott was alive," Carson counters. "That was the gamble they didn't approve of. You, on the other hand, are positive that your broother is in there. Why won't TJY help you?"

"I don't know," Ryder answers a tad spitefully. "They've never given me a reason."

Carson sees Ryder's eyes move to the side, then back again. He opens the screen door and slips out onto the porch, taking a stance next to Katie. "You're lying," he accuses calmly. "TJY always gives reasons, whether we like them or not." He studies Ryder's face that had started to pale. "Your brother is an agent, isn't he?"

Ryder grits his teeth, the muscles in his jaw tightening.

Carson shakes his head. "Sorry, mate, but we'll take this mission from here. I know the territory well enough myself. I'm not going to jeapordize it, running after someone who doesn't relaly want out." He turns, heading back inside.

"No, wait!" Ryder steps forward again, his eyes wide and pleading. "If we can just get him out, he'll want to stay out, I know he will! Look at you!"

"I didn't want to stay out," Carson informs. "I only wanted to save my hide. I would have double-crossed TJY in a heartbeat, just to get my Agency status back. Your brother obviously hasn't attempted to escape or get out, or even help TJY from the inside. That proves to me that he not only doesn't want to leave, but he's certainly not worth risking the four of us and the stability of TJY." He turns around again, going all the way inside.

"But he's my brother!" Ryder shouts. "I don't care if he's on the wrong side! He'll change, I know it!" Seeing that Carson was no longer listening, Ryder throws his arms up in the air, then goes to flop back down in the swing, putting his face in his hands. It always went like this.

No comments: