2/20/09

Mission

Jason's eyes fly open, woken from his dozing state by Katie's message.

Alright... keep cool. Let me know if you need us.

He rolls off the couch and wanders casually into the kitchen where Carson still was, and keeps his voice quiet. "Katie's talking to Ryder. She says he's hiding something."

Carson nods, his eyes staying on the blueprints in front of him. "Yeah."

"Guess we all figured something was weird."

"Yeah."

Jason rolls his eyes. "And this doesn't worry you?"

Carson finally looks up, giving Jason an expression of annoyance. "What, you think Katie can't handle him?"

"No, that's not it. I meant about this whole thing."

"Oh. Not really. We'll get our job done no matter what. He's with TJY - that much I'm sure of. Whatever he's hiding will either get him in trouble, or just be something we ignore or conquer. We're getting what we came for - that much I'm sure of."


Ryder bristles just a little bit, though Katie's soft tone keeps him from becoming upset with her probing. "I understand not trusting me, but I wish you did."

Unable to stay in his vulnerable, position, he finally rights himself to stand up, forcing Katie to her feet as well as he swings his legs down. Padding in his bare feet to the porch railing, he looks out into the dark, just able to make out the trees by the light of the moon.

"Five years," he comments quietly. "Five years I've been trying to find a way in. When Reese said you guys were coming, I jumped on it because your team is the ticket I need. I couldn't do it by myself... but with a team..."

A sad sort of smile surfaces again and he turns around to look at Katie once more. "See, my own personal plans aren't in alignment with those of TJY, so I've had to ignore them for years. But now... with you three..."

A laugh escapes. "But you're all pretty dedicated to sticking with rules and regulations, so who am I fooling?"

The soberness returns, and Ryder wanders close enough to Katie to look down into her eyes. "Or would you risk your mission for another?" He shakes his head. "No... you're here for your friend, Angel. And now I see that I can't let my personal feelings or plans get in the way. So I won't interfere. I won't add to the load of this mission."

No comments: