6/11/08

Bogus Hobby

Scott doesn't care that Katie fiddles with the wires, and doesn't react. Smiling at little as he receives her kiss, he gives her a playful poke with his elbow. "I said keep me awake, not distract me."

He shakes his head with a wry grin. "No, they ask me because I don't yell at them for messing things up like this. I'd hardly call what I have a talent. Bogus hobby maybe....I think most of the stuff I do turns out more because of luck than because I know what I'm doing."

He pauses, looking closer at a couple switches, then drags his laptop around and starts typing. "When I first started at TJY, I mostly worked on hacking and stuff like that, then Reese discovered I knew more than that, so now it's any piece of equipment everyone thinks I can solve, fix, reprogram or rewire."

Scott stops for a moment, thinking as he looks at his screen. His tongue is a little bit looser than normal after not having had any sleep. "You know...I always wondered what it would be like if I were better at the other stuff...combat...undercover work...that sort of thing. I see Wyatt and Jason...Nate...Con...they're really what holds TJY together and keeps it going." He gives a little sigh. "But I was cursed with an unbalanced hand that can't hit the broadside of a barn, the spine of a jellyfish and the brain that sees numbers instead of people."

He gives a laugh at himself. "Takes all kinds, don't it?" Reaching across Katie, he grabs his cup of coffee and takes a sip, letting it slide down his throat. "Mm...you brew a good cup." Setting it back down, he resumes his work, glancing at the clock. "We're pushing it," he muses. "But I think we'll have this sucker up and running. Once we're in the courtroom, I'm hoping they'll give me five minutes to communicate with Pete back here to make sure it's showing the picture."


Cindy opens her eyes in the dark, her digital clock telling her of the early morning hour. Her achy muscles wanted so badly to continue sleeping, but her all-night worrying had done her stomach no good, and it took her on another mad dash to the bathroom.

Sitting on the floor, she leans her head back against the wall, taking a deep breath after throwing up. She was trying to be strong...she really was....but thinking about her son...her husband...all her close friends...all going to prison... there was a chance she could be taken in as well. It was overwhelming, and it only proved to intensify any morning sickness that was hanging on.

No comments: