5/20/08

x-ray

Scott winces as Misty pokes and prods around his ribs, but does as he’s told. He sighs as he’s left alone, hating to once again be told not to move, but he obeys.


Rick takes a sip of his coffee, thinking as Misty talks, his concern rising. “Hmm…I guess after his second round with those thugs, I assumed he was just still sore from Jason. I should have taken another x-ray, that was my fault. I think you’re right – there shouldn’t be that bruising like that still there, and there certainly shouldn’t be any swelling.”

He finishes his off his coffee and stands to put his mug in the sink. “Come on and show me where the problem is.” He and Misty return to the infirmary where Scott is still waiting.

Scott quirks an eyebrow, his own concern rising that the two of them were needed instead of just one.

Rick shakes his head in teasing disgust. “You just can’t make things easy, can you?”

“I do my best.”

“Mm-hmm.” Rick leans down and squints at the spot Misty indicates. He moves his fingers around the ribs thoughtfully. “Does this hurt?”

Scott cringes just a little. “A bit.”

“How about here?”

“Kinda.”

“Here?”

Scott just about jumps off the table as he lets out a cry of pain.

Rick straightens and nods. “Yeah, that’s the spot.” He stands back and thinks for a moment. “I want to take an x-ray of that, just to be sure.”

“Sure of what?”

“I think there might be something we missed.” Rick slowly and gently helps Scott off the table. “Take it nice and slow…”

Not much later, Scott is back lying on the table, and Rick is in the next room with Misty, looking at the x-ray. “That’s what I was afraid of.” Rick taps a section of the picture. “See that there…those thugs must have used something other than their fists on him. He’s got a piece of bone that’s been chipped off his rib. My guess is that the fragment is causing most of the trouble.”

Rick sighs deeply and rubs a hand over his face. “There’s only one thing we can do, and that’s to go in and get it out.” He looks to Misty. “I’ll need your help, not only with the procedure, but convincing Scott we need to do it. The last time he was put under was so at the hospital they could get his appendix out. He had a reaction to the anesthetic though and it was touch and go for a little while. Ever since then he’s been terrified of me doing anything but giving him an aspirin, which is probably why he’s been so stubborn about this whole thing.”


Trent accepts Rosetta’s embrace, returning it with strong arms. A tear falls from his own eye, running down his cheek. “Saying I’m sorry just doesn’t cut it,” he says quietly. “But I just can’t think of anything else to say.”

Pulling back, he sets his arms on Rosetta’s shoulders, just continuing to study her face. “I…” His hands suddenly drop as his eyes shift to the mess hall door that has just opened.

Jeff stops in his tracks, his eyes widening. Staring, he can’t believe what he’s seeing, but he knows it must be true. He opens his mouth to say something, but no words want to come.

Trent looks to his brother with sorrow. “Jeff…”

Jeff can’t even begin to decipher what is running through his mind. All of a sudden though, his eyes shift past Trent.

Trent sees the focus change, and turns around coming face to face with Sparky who is several feet away.

Sparky stops dead, for a moment in shock. Recovering quickly though, his hand immediately hovers over his sidearm, his eyes narrowing. It had been a long time…twenty years at least…but Sparky’s guard was up instantly, overtaking any melancholy that wanted to surface. “What are you doing here?” he hisses.

Trent’s hands go up into the air as he sees Sparky’s gun, his eyes widening with just a bit of fear. “I’m not here as an enemy,” he tries to defend quickly.

“What’s going on out here?” Austin steps out onto the porch. Eying Trent, his reaction is similar to the others, shock crossing his face.

Sparky’s eyes don’t move from Trent and he takes a step forward, forcing Trent to back up. “I asked what you’re doing here,” he repeats.

Trent’s hands remain in the air. “I don’t know…I mean…I just..” His eyes drift to Rosetta for help.

No comments: