5/15/08

Moved

Wyatt grins and shakes his head as Mabel walks away. He wasn't exactly on the lookout for a girlfriend right now, but Aerith did seem nice. He couldn't help but think it might be fun to hang out with her apart from happenstance.

Alone to wait, Wyatt sits on a stool at the counter, takes his cell phone and digs around in his wallet for Aerith's number. Finally finding it, he dials and waits for an answer, not even identifying himself. "So I come back and you'd already left. Does that make us even for standing each other up?" He gives a little chuckle. "I'm hanging out down at Mom and Pop's for supper if you feel so inclined, otherwise I'll have to take another raincheck."


Scott knows it was more than another movie that had kept Katie there, but he doesn't mind. Having used her as a pillow by accident, and knowing he needed to let her move, Scott finally manages to sit up straight, annoying Domino who was trying to sleep on his lap. He leans back and closes his eyes for a moment, trying to decide if he should get up to move his muscles or just stay put.

In mention of food, he gives Katie a sidelong glance, gingerly opening his mouth to talk. "I'm starving, but I don't think I can eat anything. You're welcome to whatever I've got though. I'm a little low on a few things."

Cringing, Scott moves his feet off the coffee table to relieve the tension in his legs. Domino starts to slide off his lap and struggles for a moment, finally opting to jump onto the floor. Shaking herself all over, she bounces around for a moment, then scurries to the other side of the living room, grabs a squeaky toy and comes bounding back, leaping up onto the couch to crawl over Katie in order to get to Scott again, dropping the toy in his lap and staring at it, anticipating that it will fly through the air at any moment.

A chuckle finally surfaces from Scott and he picks up the toy, carefully tossing it across the room. Domino flies off the couch, scurrying to attack it before proudly bringing her trophy back for more, this time bouncing a bit roughly into Scott's lap.

He winces and lays a hand on her to calm her energy. "Ooh, baby settle down," he chides gently.

Domino heaves a sigh and thinks for a moment. Picking up her toy again, she deposits it with a bit of slobber into Katie's lap instead, as if reasoning that if her daddy wasn't going to play, she'd just have to find someone else.

Scott grins and rolls his eyes. After a few minutes, he turns his head to look at Katie, sensing that she didn't want to leave. "Katie...the night's not half as scary as it seems when you've got people praying for you." He offers a slight smile. "And I know Laura would be more than happy to be your company tonight. You need to get some rest too, and I'll be fine."


Con carries the large box on his shoulder, with the duffel bag in his other hand, up the two flights of stairs. Reaching Carson's door, he sets everything down and rings the doorbell. It's Jason that answers. Both men lock eyes for several moments. The stare Jason gives Con is cold and empty as if the life has been completely sucked out of him.

Con frowns out of sadness. "Jason, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hide anything from you. I was just..."

Jason ignores the apology and moves to pick up his bag and shove the box inside. Without a word, he shuts the door again.

Con stares at the closed door, trying not to become angry himself. Jason had been broken before, and this time was fighting it for all it was worth. Unfortunately, he was fighting it with anger. Con turns to go.

Carson sees Jason bring his stuff in and shut the door, but catches a glimpse of Con in the hallway. Paying no heed to Jason's moodiness, he goes to the hall, seeing Con walking away. "Con!" Not heard, Carson gives a shrill whistle instead.

Con spins around and seeing Carson, he returns. "Yeah?"

"I just wanted to tell you that I'd try to keep him here." Carson keeps his voice quiet. "I figure if he'd come here he wouldn't skip town or something stupid."

"Well I appreciate it. Has he said anything?"

"Nothing worth repeating. He's shutting down big time though. I can't tell if he's more angry or depressed at the moment. I've seen guys get out of prison who've slipped right back into everyday life no problem. Then I've seen guys like this who come back to find things different and just can't handle it."

Con sighs deeply. "You think he'll hurt anybody else?"

"Not if he can keep his temper." Carson shrugs. "From what I saw earlier today, he didn't have a clue what he did to Scott until it was over."

"Yeah, well...I guess I'm not going to try to talk with him, but if you need anything, call me."

No comments: