3/2/08

Katie?

“Jason, did you get those files gone through?”

Jason picks up his phone at Reese’s voice. “Yeah. Didn’t come up with anything.”

“Aw, rats. Well, it was a long shot. Anyway, you heard from him?”

“No…was I supposed to? Katie headed out a while ago…I assumed she went to his place since they’ve been going out for lunch lately.”

“Hmm. Okay.” Reese pauses. “Oh, I just got a call in. I bet its him.”

Jason hears the click and shakes his head. For someone who kept track of so many things so well, there were just a few things Reese had trouble with.


Wyatt cradles the phone between his chin and shoulder as he’s stretched out on his couch. “Hey, Dad. Just wondered if Jason found anything.”

“No, nothing.”

“I thought maybe checking into John Filmore’s records might help,” Wyatt muses. “I’m thinking about coming in to work a few hours.”

“That would be fine. You could come back with Katie then.”

“Katie?”

“Yeah. Jason said she headed out earlier – assumed she’d come to your place.”

Wyatt frowns. “No…how long has she been gone?”

“A couple hours at least.”

Wyatt sits up, his jaw tightening. “And she didn’t say anything about where she was going?”

“Not that I know of.”

“I’m coming in.” Wyatt hangs up the phone and stands, looking for his shoes, and still fighting his headache. Something just didn’t feel right.


Jason taps his pencil absent mindedly on his desk. Leaning back in his chair, his thought suddenly bounce to Katie. A nervousness creeps into his veins. That was strange. It was an odd feeling….maybe he was just still confused about the night before. But…no…it was different… He frowns and picks up the phone just as Wyatt appears in his doorway.

“Jase, has Katie come back?”

“Well no. I thought she was with you.”

No comments: